When you think of the word “tradition,” perhaps Christmas or the holidays come to mind. Well, it’s like Christmas every year, when we send out the call for entries into the Juried Art Exhibition and receive incredible surprises in return. This year, our office was flooded with more than 100 quality entries. Every year, the talent pool widens a bit, with artists from beyond the borders of Adams County entering their works, plus the depth of talent increases with works of greater quality being entered.
Now marking its 11th year, I think it’s safe to say the JAE has itself become a tradition. Artists plan and look forward to entering their works, supportive sponsors return year after year to underwrite prize monies, and area arts aficionados enjoy attending this well-respected show. The Schmucker Art Gallery at Gettysburg College is an incredible partner and host.
But there’s less than a week left! If you haven’t yet caught the 2014 show… be sure to stop by ASAP because the exhibit closes this Sunday, June 22. Admission is free and everyone is welcome! Hours are 10 am-4 pm daily.
Special kudos to…
- Robyn Jacobs, Littlestown – Best in Show
- Rob Millard-Mendez, Evansville, IN – 2nd Place
- Alan Paulson, Gettysburg – 3rd Place
- Joseph Opshinski, Scranton – 4th Place
- Joh Ricci, Gettysburg – Blick Art Materials Award
- Linda Benton McCloskey, Harrisburg – Schmucker Director’s Award
- Stephanie Hicks, Gettysburg – People’s Choice Award
The 44 artists juried into this year’s show are…
Edward Babiarz, Dorothea Barrick, Paul Benyeda , Vince Bruinsma, Pamela Cooper-White, Max K. Elias, Audrey Farnsworth, Sue Fehringer, Anne H. Finucane, Cynthia Gibbon, Jack Handshaw, Lisa Gohr Harman, Nanette Hatzes, Stephanie Hicks, Michael Hower, Roberta Rettew Iula, Robyn Jacobs, Sean P. Kennedy, Arline Slifer Kump, Chris Lauer, Amy V. Lindenberger, Sheryl Massaro, Linda Benton McCloskey, Michael McCullough, Sharon Pierce McCullough, Rob Millard-Mendez, Teri Myers, Lori Nelson, Alison O’Brien, Joseph Opshinsky, Alan Paulson, Janet M. Powers, Brydie Ragan, Jill C. Rakowicz, Valerie M. Ramsburg, Joh Ricci, Bill Sachs, Rebecca Yates Shorb, Andrew T. Smith, Barrie Spessler, Dennis Steinauer, Dora Townsend, Lynn Uhlmann, and Deborah Williams
And a huge “thank you” to…
- Louise Garverick and Judie Butterfield – Event Co-Chairs
- Steve Dolbin, Professor and Chairperson, Department of Art and Design, Shippensburg University – Exhibit Juror
- Sponsors: Scott & Co. Fine Jewelers, OPEN MINDS, For the Cause Productions, Pro-Equities/Kristine Witherow, Gallery 30, Schmucker Art Gallery and Blick Art Materials.
Thinking about entering next year’s 12th Annual Juried Art Exhibition? Look for application information this winter as the tradition continues!