Discover how to see beyond the obvious within the landscape, and use expressive color to capture the essence of mood and light in the earth, water, and sky. You will learn to see the depth of color and create a unique and personally expressive painting in this relaxed and upbeat class experience.
Susan Nicholas’ fifty plus years of studio to plein air painting will lead you to your personal color expression in pastel painting. Her goal is to connect to you and inspire creativeness each day. You will learn tips and tricks along with the basics of preparing for a fun and successful painting.
Susan will begin with a short inspirational demonstration each morning designed to kick-start you into the creative spirit and prepare you for your next pastel painting. During your personal painting time, Susan will support each artist at their easel. Susan encourages each artist to contact her and share their personal goals for this workshop. This workshop will be designed on the attending artists that contact her before it begins.
Susan Nicholas Gephart, $250 ($275 nonmember) NOTE: Instructor works in all mediums and welcomes new to pastel artists.
Important Items to bring:
- Photos for reference use in your pastel subject.
- Personal lunch and water bottle
Suggested Pastel Supply List:
- Easel – York does have free standing easels.
- Sketchbook, pencil, and eraser
- Pastels: A variety of soft and hard pastels in many colors
- Mounting Board: FoamCore, Gator Board, or traditional board
- Surfaces to pastel paint on-Or Anything you use already
- Susan uses this, because it can be wet: Multimedia Artboard – White (Don’t forget to use Susan’s discount code, SNGART, at checkout)
- Brushes that can handle blending on sandpaper in a range of sizes. (Susan will loan brushes if needed)
- Watercolors if you own them (Susan will have some to share)
- Masking Tape (not colored)